The ultimate dog birthday cake recipe
We love celebrating birthdays here at the Laughing Dog farm – whether human or for our four-legged friends! This week we tasked our dog food nutritionists with creating us a dog-friendly cake for our dogs – a dog-friendly cake you could make at home!
Our farm dogs Gus and Layla have always been treated to a special event on their birthdays – whether it’s a long walk by the coast or a special outdoor adventure to celebrate their big day. With lockdown though, it has certainly made ‘lockdown birthdays’ a little different for us all, so this year we thought why not bake them a cake! Like so many of our customers, we’ve found baking homemade dog treats has helped to keep us entertained throughout lockdown with our dogs.
If you don’t have the time to make your dog a birthday cake or dog treat, don’t worry – check out our birthday presents for dogs and our personalised dog treats – including our baked biscuit bones which you can personalise with your dog’s name or just simply go for the traditional ‘Happy Birthday’ message!
If you have time to head to our YouTube channel you can also see Rachel trying out homemade recipes – including her own doggy birthday cake ideas for her dog Layla. Scroll down to see Rachel’s homemade cheesecake for dogs recipe too!
Our homemade dog-friendly birthday cake
Ingredients you will need:
- 4 eggs
- 200g peanut butter (make sure it is dog-friendly; Xylitol free)
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 50ml honey
- 2 medium carrots
- 200g oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the birthday cake topping:
- 3tbsp Greek yogurt or low fat natural yoghurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp of dog-friendly peanut butter (as above)
Into the mixing bowl…
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Combine all the ingredients together and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a cake tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool and take out of the tin.
- Combine Greek yoghurt and peanut butter.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Then spread the icing on the cake.
- Finally let your four-legged friend enjoy (perhaps just a slice or two at a time!)
You can share your homemade dog treat photos with our bakers by posting them on our social feeds – at Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. We will always share as many homemade dog treat or dog-friendly cake recipes as we can!
*Always supervise your dog when eating, and ensure your four-legged friend has lots of fresh, clean water on offer. This recipe is a complementary pet food intended as an occasional treat only – you may need to adjust the amount of dog food you give your dog to prevent overfeeding.